Romanian tennis participant Simona Halep gained her first Wimbledon title ever when she beat Serena Williams on the championships in London on July 13. Listed here are 5 issues you must know concerning the spectacular athlete.
It’s a good time to be a tennis fan. Whereas followers had been watching to see if Serena Williams, 37, would Wimbledon for the eighth time on July 13, Simona Halep impressed as a substitute, profitable her first title on the standard championship in London. The 27-year-old tennis star beat the best participant within the historical past of the game with a 6-2, 6-2 end result, proving she’s able to take her personal spot on the prime and go down in her personal historical past. Listed here are 5 issues you must know concerning the new champion.
1. Her mother helped encourage her to win her first Wimbledon title. After her superior win, the superb athlete opened up on the courtroom about how her mother had all the time dreamed of that second. “It was my mum’s dream after I was about 10,” she stated. “And the day got here and my mum is right here to see it. I’ve labored loads to vary just a little bit my recreation to play on grass. I began to really feel this 12 months when the ball involves me I knew what to do with it.”
2. She comes from a household of athletes.
Simona was born in Dobrujan, Romania. Her father was a former soccer participant for the AS Săgeata Stejaru membership. At age 4, Simona noticed her older brother taking part in tennis and she or he picked up a racket to be similar to him! Awww!
3. Her profitable historical past made her the second finest skilled tennis participant for the previous few years.
In 2013, Simona gained her first six World Tennis Affiliation titles. The final time that occurred was in 1986, when Steffi Graf gained her first 7 titles in a single 12 months. Not surprisingly, the WTA named Simona its Most Improved Participant for 2013. She went on to rank No. 1 for the primary time in 2017 and held the rating for 48 consecutive weeks. As of 2019, she gained two Grand Slam titles, the 2018 French Open, and the 2019 Wimbledon Championships.
4. She’s powerful however has a historical past of accidents.
Simona gained an US Open match regardless of a thigh damage in 2015. Sadly, she’s had her share of bodily issues. When she made it to the Wimbledon semifinals for the primary time in 2014, she misplaced as a result of an ankle damage. She needed to pull out of the 2014 Rogers Cup as a result of a knee damage. And, it was a knee damage that pressured her to surrender within the finals of the Indian Wells Masters match, handing the victory over to Serena Williams.
5. She has had quite a few endorsements with corporations all through her tennis profession.
Earlier than Could 2014, she had attire from Lacoste and sneakers by Nike. She then went on to get attire from Adidas earlier than signing a contract for attire with Nike in Feb. 2018. Along with attire, she has additionally endorsed different merchandise reminiscent of Hubolt watches and was a model ambassador Mercedes-Benz Romania.