New York Giants followers are feeling extra-blue in the present day, as they’re mourning the tragic lack of Mitch Petrus. The Tremendous Bowl-winning lineman handed away from heat-related diseases. Right here’s what it’s essential know.
Mitch Petrus, 32, died at 10:45 pm on July 18 after being taken to Baptist Well being Medical Heart-North Little Rock, Pulaski County Coroner Gerone Hobbs instructed the Arkansas Democratic Gazette. The coroner stated that former New York Giants offensive guard was reportedly “feeling in poor health” after working exterior and in his household’s store in Lonoke County. The reason for dying was listed as warmth stroke, in line with the coroner. A warmth advisory was in impact for a big a part of Arkansas, the place temperatures reached the low-to-mid 90s (and the warmth index made it really feel hotter than 100 levels.) Sadly, the warmth was an excessive amount of for Mitch to bear. Because the NFL and soccer followers put together to mourn the lack of certainly one of their champions, right here’s the story behind this younger man’s all-too-short life.
1. He was a Tremendous Bowl champion. Mitch may have a spot within the coronary heart of each New York Giants fan the watched them defeat the New England Patriots in 2012’s Tremendous Bowl XLVI. Mitch was a part of that championship squad. The Giants picked Mitch within the fifth spherical of the 2010 NFL Draft. He performed in 17 regular-season video games with the group. He additionally performed in the entire 2011 postseason video games, together with the Tremendous Bowl.
2. …and he additionally performed for the Giants’ rivals. After the Tremendous Bowl victory, the Massive Blue Wrecking Crew determined to say “buh-bye” to Mitch. They waived him in September 2012 after the Giants have been awarded offensive sort out D.J. Jones, on waivers, by the Philadelphia Eagles. Jones failed his bodily and Mitch was re-signed, however re-released in November 2013 after Travis Beckum was activated. The Patriots, who the Mitch assist defeat in 2012, signed him shortly afterward, however launched him a month later. After that, he was claimed off waivers by the Tennesse Titans. He performed two seasons with them within the 2012 season earlier than he was finally waived. After that, he didn’t signal with one other NFL group.
3. He was an Arkansas native. Mitch was born and raised in Carlisle, Arkansas. He graduated from Carlisle Excessive College, was a stroll on at Arkansas, and bounced round at three positions – tight finish, linebacker, and fullback – throughout his first two seasons. He discovered his groove as an offensive lineman as a junior in 2007.
4. Mitch graduated with a level in agricultural economics. “I grew up on a farm, the place we raised rice, corn and soybeans,” he instructed NJ.com in 2012. “That’s what my space of curiosity was. I began out in kinesiology, however when it got here time to search out one thing that I used to be eager about, (agriculture) got here simpler to me. Once they began utilizing examples for commodities and stuff like that, it was a breeze.”
5. He additionally had a deep love of music. Mitch’s father performed in a Motown-style band referred to as The Sabres within the 1960s, in line with The New York Instances. The love of music was handed right down to his son. Although he initially wasn’t all that into music, he rapidly fell in love with the guitar after taking classes from his teammate, Drew Hudgens, whereas at Arkansas. He and Drew began a band collectively referred to as Vikings of the North Atlantic. “After I received drafted by the Giants, it was slightly bizarre due to the Vikings factor,” Petrus stated. “Individuals have been like: ‘Vikings? Minnesota?’ So I sort of like going by VONA higher.”
“I imagine within the sound, I actually do,” Petrus stated. He performed bass in VONA, whereas Drew performed guitar. “It’s simply actually rewarding. I gave up video video games. I gave up Halo for music as a result of it’s much less stress in my life. It’s simply enjoyable.”