Is James Charles canceled? Tati Westbrook ended her friendship together with her fellow YouTube magnificence star in a prolonged video that accused him of some outrageous habits, so right here’s what it is advisable to find out about him.
“Fame, energy and a fats checking account will change virtually anybody. And if you happen to don’t have folks that inform you to your face that you just’re doing the incorrect issues you’ll change,” Tati Westbrook, 37, mentioned within the video she uploaded to her YouTube account on Could 10. Within the video, she ended her friendship with fellow magnificence blogger/controversial “influencer” James Charles, 19, after accusing him of betraying her belief (whereas additionally accusing him of utilizing his fame to “manipulate” males into giving him sexual favors.) “I don’t suppose there’s any getting by way of to you and I don’t need to be mates with you. I don’t need to be related to you, and I have to say that very publicly in order that this chapter can simply be closed,” she added. The video prompted the Web to declare James’s profession over, so who’s he?
1. James Charles is a make-up artist, mannequin, and Web persona. With at the moment 16 million followers on YouTube, James Charles Dickinson is likely one of the greatest magnificence stars on the platform. A relative newcomer to the sweetness scene — he began his channel in 2015 — the Bethlehem, New York native grew to become an in a single day sensation after he retook his highschool yearbook photograph to intensify his cheekbones, in keeping with The Record. The photographs went viral, and his glow up led him to explode on-line.
2. He’s solely self-taught. James’s pure expertise with a make-up brush come from a lifetime of drawing and portray. “I’m an excellent artistic individual and have at all times beloved drawing and portray since I used to be tremendous younger, however make-up was a brand new avenue for me,” Charles advised Cosmopolitan in 2016. “I used to attract portraits of celebrities, so I’ve at all times had a love for stunning faces.”
But, there’s a distinction between portray on canvas and portray a mug. Fortunately for James, he had the very best instructor: the Web. “YouTube movies and observe have taught me all I do know,” he advised Seventeen. “I’ve been watching tutorials for years now, so after I began make-up, I did have a semi-idea of how you can do issues. Aside from that, it’s all been by way of experimenting and determining what works for me!”
3. He’s COVERGIRL’s first ever “CoverBoy.” James made historical past in 2016 when COVERGIRL named him as their first-ever male ambassador, christening them their “COVERBOY.”
“I’m so honored and excited to be working with such an iconic model,” he wrote on his Instagram. “I began my Instagram one yr in the past to encourage others and as an inventive outlet to problem myself creatively. I really hope that this exhibits that anybody and everybody can put on make-up and might do something if you happen to work onerous.”
4. He virtually sank his profession with a racist tweet… Tati’s allegations – that James tries to “trick” straight males into having intercourse with him isn’t the primary time that his profession has been “canceled.” In 2017, whereas on a college journey, he tweeted “I can’t imagine we’re going to Africa right this moment omg what if we get Ebola?” He deleted the tweet and apologized for making that “offensive” joke.
5. …and this isn’t his first big-time superstar feud. The mess with Tati Westwood – with James sharing an commercial for SugarBearHair, a rival to her personal vitamin firm Halo Magnificence, and the ensuing drama – just isn’t James’s first public feud. After he trashed 2017’s It for being “so predictable,” the forged trolled him for “exploit[ing] a moe that you just hate for cash and a spotlight.” He additionally mentioned Ariana Grande was one of many rudest celebrities he ever talked to and, earlier in 2019, obtained into it with fellow Web persona Jovan Hill.
Oh, there’s additionally the controversy surrounding his publish about attending the 2019 Met Gala. James obtained trolled for saying his invite was “a step ahead in the precise path for influencer illustration within the media,” as if “influencer” is a minority that wants “illustration.”